Saturday, November 1, 2008

Counter-Narratives

I really enjoyed this article and the fact that it took a positive perspective on teachers and students in urban schools. I find that this article is the complete opposite to the one we read called "Unemployment Training." There are good teachers in urban schools, which I knew all along! I hope that maybe some people in the field would read this article and develop an optimism about urban schools. I student taught in a urban setting and loved it. I also feel that the techniques the teachers used in this article are critical to all teachers. If a teacher in a suburban school doesn't build relationships with their students they too will not be successful. I feel as if the problem is that too many times teachers go into urban schools with preconceived notions of what the students and school are going to be like that they don't even attempt to use what they students like, get to know them, and require hard work of them. So what if they live in the city, they are still children that need and can learn. I wonder how the tables would turn if all the really good and dedicated teachers decided to teach in urban setting instead of shying away.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Britt--I totally agree with you! This article was so refreshing to read; I feel like we read a lot of negative articles and essays on urban schools and teachers. While I was reading this article, I thought about one of the teachers at Natchaug. The article talks about how urban teachers sometimes have to deviate from the "norm" or "traditional" methods of teaching in order to reach their kids. This, however, doesn't make them a bad teacher! I think being able to reach your kids and actually teach them something, is a mark of a great teacher. I loved teaching in an urban school too, and maybe some day I wil have the opportunity to do it again.